Minimum Qualification Required: Degree in computing, maths, engineering or equivalent (e.g. BSc/BEng), plus 4 or more years relevant work experience.
- Work with the Research Unit Manager, Chief Architect and customers to develop requirements for software.
- May be required to act as technical lead on one or more projects and will have responsibility insuring that delivery deadlines are met.
- Develop Object Oriented software modules in Java or similar language.
- Work start-up projects and for leading companies in Silicon Valley.
- Design and build scalable and reliable web applications and services using the right tools for the job
- Work with customers and travel to their sites (National and International) as needed to support the product in production, identify enhancements, elicit requirements and/or solve production problems.
- Develop unit test suites in conjunction with all software modules developed.
- May include some of the following areas; working with SmartTVs and mobile devices (using relevant SDKs/APIs), working with Gaming SDKs, working with social media APIs/SDKs
- Utilise process management tools such as Redmine for time management and Bugzilla for defect management, Git/SVN for revision control, etc.
- Work with database technologies – for example MySQL, MongoDB, MS-SQL Server.
- An understanding of best practices in mobile development, including HIG and design patterns
- Participate in function test, integration test and user acceptance tests.
- Work with the software test function to resolve defects promptly.
- Familiar with web-based architectures and technologies (REST, XML, JSON)
- Practical experience and understanding of internet APIs.
- Document any necessary processes or procedures.
- Mentors junior staff members in software engineering processes and new technologies.
- Support the Research Unit Manager in defining new products/services/technology roadmaps.
- Work with the Research Unit Manager to write proposals for future funding.
- Report to the Research Unit Manager.
- BSc/BEng in computing or telecommunications, or equivalent, and a minimum of 4 year software engineering experience.
- Strong Object Oriented programming ability in Java or similar OO language.
- Knowledge of source code control and testing tools (e.g. SVN, Git, JUnit, etc.).
- Knowledge of Web Technologies.
- Knowledge of database technologies – for example PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS-SQL Server.
- Attention to detail and methodical approach to problem solving.
- Good organizational, time management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Logical approach to problem solving.
- Ability to create test procedures and test plans.
- Ability to write proposals.
- Willingness to travel.
To apply for this position please submit a loose-leaf CV with accompanying letter/email specifying the position you are interested in before 4pm on 25th January 2013 to:
The Human Resources Office,
Waterford Institute of Technology,