Commencement Date: Immediately
Minimum Qualification Required: BSc in Computing or similar discipline
- Develop software modules in Ruby on Rails or similar language / framework with a main focus on backend server.
- Develop software using the appropriate technologies according to agile development best practices (e.g. test driven development, continuous integration, code reviews etc.).
- Work with the Project Manager and customers to develop requirements for software.
- Act as Technical Lead on one or more projects and will have responsibility ensuring that delivery deadlines are met.
- Work with database technologies – for example MySQL, Redis.
- Utilise process management tools such as Redmine, JIRA, gerrit.
- Work with the software test function to resolve defects promptly.
- Work with customers and travel to their sites (both National and International) as needed to support the product in production, identify enhancements and/or elicit requirements.
- Document any necessary processes or procedures.
- Mentor junior staff members in software engineering processes and new technologies.
- Report to the Research Unit Manager and provide support in writing proposals for future funding.
- Flexibility to work with customers in different time zones such as US West Coast and Japan.
Essential: BSc in Computing or similar discipline
Desirable: MSc in Computing or similar discipline
Essential: 8 years of relevant software development experience
Desirable: 10+ years of relevant software development experience
Specific Knowledge and Skills:
Strong software engineering with proven Ruby (on or off Rails) experience.
Knowledge of the different areas of systems architecture, e.g. databases, server-side, client-side, communication protocols etc.
Experience working on production systems i.e. on-going support and continuous releases.
Experience working with GIT source code repository.
Experience working on projects using the Agile methodology.
Experience working with services oriented architectures.
Specific Personal Qualities:
Excellent communication skills with fluent written and oral English.
Must be a self-starter that can work on own initiative.
Ability to quickly learn new systems and processes.
Skilled at troubleshooting.
Ability to work in a team as well as individually.
Experience as technical lead.
Closing Date of Advert: 16.00 on Wednesday, 28th October 2015
To apply for this position please submit only a CV with accompanying letter/email. Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please mark the application clearly with the appropriate reference number.
Please address to
Ms. Ruth Hennebry,
The Human Resource Office,
Waterford Institute of Technology,
Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519,
At a minimum candidates must demonstrate in their application that they possess all of the essential elements applicable in the person specification. The Institute will then decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post.
Please note applications will be acknowledged within three working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
WIT is an equal opportunities employer