Work with the Project Technical Lead to develop requirements for software. Develop software using the appropriate technology set as specified by the Project technical lead.
Job Title: Software Developer (Ref. No. 017118)
Department: Mobile Services Unit, TSSG (www.tssg.org)
Commencement Date: Immediately
Minimum Qualification Required: Degree in computing, maths, engineering or equivalent (e.g. BSc/BEng), plus 3 or more years relevant work experience.
- Work with the Project Technical Lead to develop requirements for software.
- Develop software using the appropriate technology set as specified by the Project technical lead.
- May be required to act as technical lead on projects and will have responsibility insuring that delivery deadlines are met.
- Develop Object Oriented software in Java or similar OO language.
- Knowledge of C# programming language and .Net framework
- Develop unit test suites in conjunction with all software modules developed.
- Work with network protocols (both telecommunications and Internet).
- Work with database technologies – for example PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS-SQL Server.
- Utilise process management tools such as Redmine for time management and Bugzilla for defect management.
- Participate in function test, integration test and user acceptance tests.
- Work with the software test function to resolve defects promptly.
- Document any necessary processes or procedures.
- Work with the Research Unit Manager to write proposals for future funding.
- Report to the Research Unit Manager.
- Academic Qualifications:
Essential: BSc/BEng in Computing, Maths or Physics.
- Professional Qualifications:
Desirable: Scrum certified.
Essential: 4 years working or postgraduate studying in Software.
Desirable: Has more than 5 years in the software development industry with experience across the entire SDLC
- Specific Knowledge and Skills:
- Advanced understanding of Software engineering principles and architectures.Understanding of software engineering for mobile technologies.Understanding of Agile Software development methodologies.
- Awareness of emerging software technologies and trends.
Desirable: Ability to write Proposals
- Strong Object Oriented programming ability in Java or similar OO language.
- Knowledge of source code control and testing tools (e.g. SVN, Git, JUnit, etc.).
- Knowledge of Web Technologies.Knowledge of database technologies – for example PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS-SQL Server.
- Integrating with third-party APIs including RESTful & SOAP-based
- React Native
- Objective C
- git / github
- Chrome development tools
- Mobile HTML5
- DBRuby on Rails
- Multi-media/streaming technology experience
Specific Personal Qualities:
Essential: Excellent Communication Skills;Leadership skills.Presentation skills.Customer interaction skills.
Closing Date of Advert: 4.00pm on Monday, 2ndMay, 2016.
To apply for this position please submit only a CV with accompanying letter/email. Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please mark the application clearly with the appropriate reference number. Please address to Ms. Ruth Hennebry, The Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519.
At a minimum candidates must demonstrate in their application that they possess all of the essential elements applicable in the person specification. The Institute will then decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post.
Please note applications will be acknowledged within seven working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.