Job Title: Research Unit Manager (Ref. No.017758 )
Employer: Waterford Institute of Technology
Department: Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) AR/VR Unit TSSG (www.tssg.org)
Commencement Date: Immediately
Minimum Qualification Required: Degree or MBA in Business Studies or equivalent and minimum of 10 years commercial/research experience.
- Leading the development of AR/VR platforms, applications, experiences and games. The ideal person for this role will have a minimum of 10 years games development management experience or equivalent. In addition the successful applicant will also have managed the release of at least 2 AA or above games on multiple platforms.
- Securing sponsored research projects and developing new sources of funded research, including contract research – i.e. building a pipeline of income for the Unit.
- Leading the sponsored and contract research projects of the research unit – ie being responsible for the delivery of all projects in the Unit. The ideal candidate will have substantial previous experience in managing a cross functional development teams/projects. In addition, the candidate will have substantial development lifecycle experience including approvals submission.
- Line management (administration and performance management) and mentoring of unit staff including management of budgetary and resource allocations.
- Providing leadership on research projects activities within the research unit including identifying and building synergies between projects.
- Developing and manage key internal and external relationships.
- Ensuring intra- and inter- Research Unit collaboration.
- Agreeing and delivering on specific TSSG vision, strategy, objectives, processes and targets/metrics.
- Specification and delivery of research unit research vision and strategy.
- Dissemination of information by publication in international journals and at workshops and conferences. This will involve international travel.
- International representation of the Institute to the funding bodies, fulfilment of scientific services such as membership in relevant conference Program Committees, working groups and editorial boards; and peer-reviewing of international publications.
- Liaise on a regular basis and provide periodic reports to the Management Team / TSSG Executive.
- Development and maintenance of high quality external sponsor (funding bodies) customer, academic and commercial relationships.
- Coordination and protection of IP with the Management Team/Technology Transfer Office.
- Any other tasks that may be assigned by the Management Team.
Degree or MBA in Business Studies or equivalent.
Academic or industry recognised qualification in project management
Minimum of 10 years games development management experience or equivalent.
Managed the successful release of at least 2 AA or above games on multiple platforms.
Previous experience in managing a cross functional development team/project.
Full development lifecycle experience including approvals submission.
Specific Knowledge and skills
Strong project management experience with the ability to lead the development of complex projects.
Excellent knowledge of games development or equivalent.
Ability to rapidly understand and analyze new products and potential solutions to research challenges.
Attention to detail and methodical approach.
Track record of leading and developing teams of varying disciplines.
Excellent written and oral communication, organisational and interpersonal skills.
Strong risk analysis skills.
Strong negotiating skills.
Knowledge of research unit research focus as outlined above.
Project management knowledge of games or equivalent software development.
Good communication skills.
Closing Date of Advert: 4.00pm on Monday, 18th July 2016.
To apply for this position please submit only a CV with accompanying letter/email. Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please mark the application clearly with the appropriate reference number. Please address to
Ms. Ruth Hennebry,
The Human Resource Office,
Waterford Institute of Technology,
Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519, e-mail: email@example.com
At a minimum candidates must demonstrate in their application that they possess all of the essential elements applicable in the person specification. The Institute will then decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post.
Please note applications will be acknowledged within seven working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.