This role allows the graduate to engage in cutting edge research for commercial partners of TSSG sponsored by Enterprise Ireland and the European Commission. The role provides the opportunity to work on dynamic, state of the art research projects involving international consortia
Job Title: Graduate (Ref. No. 018978)
Department: TSSG (www.tssg.org)
Commencement Date: Summer 2017
Minimum Qualification Required:
Degree in computing, maths, engineering or equivalent (e.g. BSc/BEng).
This role allows the graduate to engage in cutting edge research for commercial partners of TSSG sponsored by Enterprise Ireland and the European Commission. The role provides the opportunity to work on dynamic, state of the art research projects involving international consortia.
For further details please go to: /careers/graduate-programme/
- Working on a diverse range of collaborative research projects, contributing to state of the art analysis, system architecture specification, software development and concept/prototype development, both internally within the TSSG and as part of distributed research team.
- Detailing technical, business, and conceptual requirements and system specifications for next generation communication systems – covering all aspects of TSSG research including Data Mining, Social Computing/networking, pervasive communications, security: privacy/trust/identity management, cloud services, app development, context/location aware services.
- Initiation and maintenance of strategic relationships with other external research groups and relevant industrial parties.
- Analysis, design and development of software components.
- Timely delivery of project outputs in terms of documents, papers, whitepapers, software, prototypes, reports.
- Ensuring the adherence of outputs to quality standards.
- Co-ordinating with external parties on delivery of project outputs.
- Bringing your ideas to fruition by engaging in funding proposal creation and development.
- Initiation of and participation in the production of quality academic publications.
Opportunity to participate in MSc in Computing
The Programme provides the option for graduates to participate in the MSc in Computing (Communications Software) on a part-time basis with an opportunity to pursue a PhD if desired, see link below:
Essential: Degree in computing, maths, engineering or equivalent (e.g. BSc/BEng).
- Object Oriented programming ability in Java or similar OO language.
- Knowledge of source code control and testing tools (e.g. SVN, Git, JUnit).
- Knowledge of Web Technologies (e.g. RESTful APIs, SOAP).
- Knowledge of database technologies – (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS-SQL Server).
Specific Knowledge and skills:
- Ability to create test procedures and test plans.
Specific Personal Qualities
- Strong organizational, time management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven self-starter with drive and determination to succeed.
- Ability to work in a team and on own imitative.
Closing date of advert: 9.00 on Monday, 24th April 2017
Applicants must submit a loose leaf CV and covering letter. Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please address to Ms. Ruth Hennebry, The Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519.
At a minimum candidates must demonstrate in their application that they possess all of the essential elements applicable in the person specification. The Institute will then decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post. Please note applications will be acknowledged within five working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a hard copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
This post is subject to Garda Vetting.
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.