Job Title: Mobile Services Technology Gateway (MSTG) Manager (Ref. No. 018938)
Commencement Date: May/June 2017
Duration: Specified Purpose (approx. 2 years in line with funding)
The manager is responsible for the promotion of the Gateway and the development of industry leads to fulfil the targets agreed with Enterprise Ireland.
Minimum Qualification Required:
The successful candidate will hold a degree level qualification in a technical discipline (or equivalent) and have a significant track record of delivering results in a complex organisational setting. He/she should have:
- Business Development experience and a track record of dealing with a range of customer
- Sectoral understanding of MSTG’s targeted industry base
- Demonstrable knowledge of MSTG’s technical focus areas (mstg.tssg.org)
- Experience of running a team and delivering on project results
- 5 years’ experience working in a relevant industrial setting
TSSG is an internationally renowned software research institute and internationally recognised centre of excellence for ICT research and innovation which forms part of the Waterford Institute of Technology. The Mobile Services Technology Gateway (http://mstg.tssg.org/) is the industry interface of TSSG and is part of the Enterprise Ireland Technology Gateway Network. The Technology Gateway Manager role is to promote the Gateways core technology offer to an identified Irish industry base, and initiate, manage and hold responsibility for the delivery of projects to industry partners in a time frame and quality expected of a Technology Gateway. The goal of the Gateway is to deliver near to market technology solutions to Irish based industries assisting them to create new products, processes or services.
The Technology Gateways Programme has successful delivered over 1800 projects with industry since 2013. There are currently 15 Gateways based in 11 Institutes of Technology delivering projects for the benefit of local and national industry.
Technology Gateways leverage Enterprise Ireland programmes such as Innovation Vouchers and Innovation Partnerships as well as undertake 100% funded projects with Irish industry, to meet the needs of its clients. They undertake appropriate activities to maintain and develop their technology expertise and where relevant the needs of their client base; Gateways may engage in applied research projects funded from state sources (such as Enterprise Ireland or other agencies) or other sources such as EU. In addition, the Gateways seek to build on the number of industrial projects undertaken and the number and scale of other applied research funding sources including EU programmes, which are aligned with the Gateway’s industry base.
The Technology Gateway is managed by a Gateway Manager, who is appointed and funded under this programme.
The role of the Manager is primarily that of Business Development. The manager is responsible for the promotion of the Gateway and the development of industry leads to fulfil the targets agreed with Enterprise Ireland. The Manager is also responsible for managing client relationships and ensuring projects are delivered on time and on budget.
The Manager will oversee the implementation of the technology themes for the industry supports base. He / she will report on a regular basis to the Gateway’s Industry Steering Committee on the performance of the Gateway. The Manager will attend the Quarterly Gateway Managers’ meetings, provide Enterprise Ireland with agreed reports, and attend review meetings as required by Enterprise Ireland to monitor the progress of the Gateway.
Principal Roles and Responsibilities of the Mobile Services Technology Gateway Manager:
Reporting to the TSSG Director of Innovation, the MSTG Manager’s responsibilities include:
- Working with the Marketing Manager to develop and manage the TSSG’s sales process and pipeline to engage, qualify, propose and close sales with Irish industry;
- Leading the sales process to meet with Irish companies at their offices to clarify their needs and offer solutions;
- Engaging with the Irish companies on a regular basis to capture feedback on the work of the TSSG and new requirements for research and service offerings, through for example promotional events and industry consultation workshops;
- Working with TSSG’s Research Unit Managers to ensure timely and high quality delivery of project outputs for both industry clients and Enterprise Ireland;
- Working with the Marketing Manager to develop TSSG’s marketing strategy to reach out and create awareness within Irish industry, including HPSU, Competitive Start and TIME cluster companies among others, of the TSSG’s capabilities and services;
- Develop and run Irish industry engagement workshops with the Marketing Manager and TSSG’s Research Unit Managers;
- Develop with the Marketing Manager and Research Unit Managers a set of case studies and testimonials that can serve as examples of how the TSSG can assist Irish companies;
- Work with the Marketing Manager, Research Unit Managers and Technology Transfer Office (TTO – https://www.wit.ie/research/for_industry/collaborate1) to develop a set of technology offering flyers that can be provided to Irish companies as an example of technologies that can be licensed from the TSSG;
- Participate in TTO and Enterprise Ireland (EI) Technology Showcase events to meet companies around specific technology offerings;
- Work with the Leadership Team to host Company visits to TSSG in Carriganore;
- Work with Irish industry to develop new services to meet their needs;
- Develop and introduce an operating system to capture all client contact to provide an efficient and effective service to clients;
- Participate in quarterly WIT Gateway Operations Group meetings;
- Development of close working relationships with Enterprise Ireland
Enterprise Ireland (EI) Account Management Role:
The Appointee also works closely with Enterprise Ireland and this includes activities such as:
- Managing the Gateway portfolio of Industry Projects
- Ensuring the deliverables are submitted on a timely basis;
- Engaging with Technology Gateway and other EI Clusters;
- Working with the EI Sectoral Das, Technologists and Commercialisation Specialists;
- Reporting on the performance of the MSTG to EI.
- Degree-level qualification in a technical discipline or equivalent
- Business related post-graduate diploma or degree
- Business Development experience and a track record of dealing with a range of customers – B2B customer focus
- Experience of running a team
- 5+ years’ experience working in a relevant industrial setting
- A proven background in project management in a complex environment.
- Capacity to be proactive and innovative in resource generation and sourcing all available funding
Specific knowledge and skills
- A strong technical background specifically in Information and Communications Technology.
- Skills in innovation, entrepreneurship, and creative problem solving.
- Demonstrable capability to work with cross-functional teams
Specific Personal Qualities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the proven ability to effectively negotiate and influence a broad range of stakeholders.
- Proven relationship building skills and the ability to deal effectively with a broad range of stakeholders for the region we serve and at national level.
- A high level of personal integrity and exemplary standards of behaviour aligned with the Institute’s own values of dignity and respect for all.
- Highly developed organisational skills
Closing Date of Advert: 9.00 on Monday, 17th April 2017
Applicants must submit a loose leaf CV and covering letter. Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please mark the application clearly with the appropriate reference number. Please address to Ms. Ruth Hennebry, The Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519.
At a minimum candidates must demonstrate in their application that they possess all of the essential elements applicable in the person specification. The Institute will then decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post. Please note applications will be acknowledged within five working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a hard copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
For any informal enquiries about this position, please contact Kevin Doolin, Director of Innovation, TSSG (email@example.com)
This post is subject to Garda Vetting
WIT is an equal opportunities employer