Job Title: Senior Software Developer (Ref. No.19158)
Department: Mobile Services Unit (MSU), TSSG (www.tssg.org)
Commencement Date: Immediately
Location: TSSG, Carriganore
Minimum Requirement: MSc. in Computer Science (or equivalent)
TSSG is seeking a Senior Software Developer to join its Mobile Services Research Unit.
- Work with the Project Manager and customers to develop requirements for software.
- Set up and implement the architecture of projects.
- Act as Technical Lead on one or more projects and will have responsibility insuring that delivery deadlines are met.
- Develop software using the appropriate technology according to agile development best practices (e.g. test driven development, continuous integration, etc.).
- Develop Object Oriented software modules in Angular, React, Java, Groovy, Grails or similar language.
- Work with database technologies – for example PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS-SQL Server.
- Work with customers and travel to their sites (National and European) as needed to support the product in production, identify enhancements, elicit requirements and/or solve production problems.
- Document any necessary processes or procedures.
- Support the Research Unit Manager in defining new products/services/technology roadmaps.
- Work with the Project Manager to write proposals for future funding.
- Mentor junior staff members in software engineering processes and new technologies.
Essential: MSc. Computer Science (or s/w development)
Essential: 5 years working in Software Development
Specific knowledge and skills, IT Skills
- Advanced understanding of Software engineering principles and architectures.
- Understanding of software engineering and development for mobile technologies.
- Understanding of Agile Software development methodologies.
- Awareness of emerging software technologies and trends.
- Experience with technologies such as Heroku, Amazon Web Services, Firebase, Cordova, Ionic and MongoDB
- Knowledge of relational database technologies – (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS-SQL Server)
- Knowledge of source code control and testing tools (e.g. Git, mocha, nose, Coverage, Istanbul, and Jenkins)
- Knowledge of Web Technologies (e.g. RESTful APIs)
- Knowledge and experience with React Native
- Commercial software Development, specifically front end and UI Design
Specific Personal Qualities
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Leadership skills
- Presentation skills
- Customer interaction skills
- Excellent attention to detail and methodical approach to problem solving
- Excellent product knowledge and ability of scoping out product requirements from concept through to commercial product
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Strong analytical skills and logical approach to problem solving
- Ability to contribute to proposal development
Essential: Self-motivated and enthusiastic about position
Closing date of advert: 4.00pm on Tuesday, 27th June 2017
Applicants must submit a CV and covering letter via email to email@example.com. Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please mark the application clearly with the appropriate reference number. Please address to Ms. Ruth Hennebry, The Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519. Please note that hard copy will not be accepted.
At a minimum candidates must demonstrate in their application that they possess all of the essential elements applicable in the person specification. The Institute will then decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post. Please note applications will be acknowledged within five working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a hard copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
This post is subject to Garda Vetting.
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.