Job Title: Postdoctoral Researcher – Artificial Intelligence/Risk Communication
Department: PAS, TSSG (www.tssg.org)
Commencement Date: Immediate
Closing date: Friday, 10 November 2017 at 17:00 GMT
TSSG are inviting applications for the temporary position of Postdoctoral Researcher – Artificial Intelligence/Risk Communication. The successful applicant must hold a PhD. Closing date for receipt of applications is 10 November 2017.
- Research expertise in the areas of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence, with good mathematical background and knowledge in wireless communication and networking. Preferable experience in the field of Vehicular Networking, Smart Transport, and V2X/Risk communication.
- Expertise in simulations and experience in modeling tools (e.g., Matlab)
- Actively work on an EU H2020 funded ITS (intelligent transport systems) focused research project, leading and guiding the team and advising on technical planning aspects to implement set tasks and activities in order to achieve set project milestones. Contribute to the design, development/implementation and validation of research prototypes and demonstrators of the EU H2020 funded project;
- Perform basic and applied research in line with the objectives and workplan of funded EU research projects.
- Act as Technical/Work Package Lead on EU H2020 funded research project ensuring that delivery deadlines are met.
- Disseminate the research projects research results via publications in scientific conferences and journals;
- Contribute to the development of research funding proposals;
- Contribute to internal TSSG research dissemination, knowledge sharing and training activates;
- Perform other tasks as set by the TSSG Research Unit Manager in order to progress the development of the unit.
- Carry out other such duties as determined and directed by the Director(s) of TSSG that contribute to the achievement of the strategic initiatives of the organisation.
- Develop a V2X/Risk communication research/funding strategy and expertise group in TSSG, linking with current TSSG 5G focused projects, to build and promote the organisations expertise in this space.
- Flexibility to Travel to project meetings (at EU and national level) a requirement for this position.
Essential: PhD in the field of Electrical and Communication Engineering or Computer Science, preferably with 1 or 2 years postdoctoral research fellow experience.
Essential: Relevant experience as a researcher in an academic environment. Expertise in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence with applications to wireless networking. Preferable knowledge in the field of Vehicular Networking. Ability to work in a team environment, guiding young researchers, and meeting defined targets and milestones within research projects.
Desirable: 1 or more years’ experience relating to artificial intelligence in the transport domain, Wireless/Risk Communication, Vehicular/V2X Communication Networks and protocols.
Specific Knowledge and Skills:
Essential: Simulation skills in wireless communication networking, possibly with applications of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning algorithms. The candidate should have good analytical and modelling skills in communication and networking.
Desirable: Intelligent Transport System/Smart Mobility research sector, Risk Communication, V2X network communication
Essential: Skills in simulation (e.g., ns3) and modelling packages (e.g., Matlab, Mathematica). Some software development expertise would be helpful to cooperate and work with senior and junior software developers.
Specific Personal Qualities:
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about position
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Good Leadership and Presentation skills
- Excellent attention to detail and methodical approach to problem solving
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Strong analytical skills and logical approach to problem solving
- Ability to contribute to proposal development
Applicants must submit a CV and covering letter . Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please address to Ms. Ruth Hennebry, The Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519 quoting Ref: TSSG02
At a minimum candidates must demonstrate in their application that they possess all of the essential elements applicable in the person specification. The Institute will then decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post. Please note applications will be acknowledged within five working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a hard copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
This role is subject to Garda Vetting
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.