Job Title: Senior Software Test Engineer
Department: V&V, TSSG (www.tssg.org)
Salary: €46,000 – €61,000 p.a.
Commencement Date: ASAP
Closing Date: 13 November 2017 @ 17:00 GMT
TSSG are inviting applications for the temporary position of Senior Software Test Engineer . The successful applicant must hold a BSc in Computing or similar discipline and have at least 8 years relevant testing experience. Closing date for receipt of applications is 13 November 2017.
The successful candidate will plan, design, develop, execute and improve the software testing of advanced telecommunications products. Candidates must have at least 10 years software test experience. The candidate should be able to work in a dynamic team environment and will be expected to display excellent time management, organisational and communication skills.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in the following areas:
Take responsibility and accountability for the Verification and Validation portion of all projects.
Mentor junior staff members in software testing & engineering processes and new technologies.
Plan test programs / research test areas with input from management and technical experts.
Write software test research papers for submission to software testing / software process improvement recognised conferences.
Contribute to Verification and Validation Test Specification definition.
Provide technical input to test project planning, test development and test execution tasks.
Plan, design, implement and execute the Verification and Validation of a number of advanced telecommunications software products and report results efficiently and accurately to the Verification and Validation Manager and the Project Technical Lead.
Work with the Project Manager and customers to define test requirements for software.
Work with multiple projects and ensure delivery deadlines are met.
- Testing software using the appropriate software configuration management tools while adhering to agile development best practices (e.g. test driven development, behaviour driven development, continuous integration, code reviews etc.).
Proven experience in the following types of testing: Functional, Acceptance, Performance, Security, Scalability and Installation Testing.
Testing and deployment of both iOS and Android mobile applications.
Submission of Mobile Applications to their respective stores.
Exhibit a clear understanding of the mobile application submission processes to their respective stores.
Using technical specifications to design test specifications and procedures.
Creating test specifications and procedures for specific projects.
Developing software and scripts to automate test cases.
Troubleshooting skills and ability to learn new technologies.
Testing the software against test plans and technical specifications, investigating and reporting errors in defect tracking application.
Work with the software development function to investigate and verify defects promptly.
Generating test harnesses, managing test data suites and configuring and controlling test environments.
Improve strategies based on historical information covering quality, cycle-time and productivity performance.
Identify areas for Improvement of products through process improvement.
Utilise process management tools such as Redmine, JIRA, Gerrit, Jenkins.
Document any necessary testing processes or procedures.
Working in accordance with documented test procedures and processes.
Work with customers and travel to their sites (both National and International) as needed to support the product in production, identify enhancements, elicit requirements and/or solve production test related problems.
Flexibility to work with customers in different time zones.
Help secure future funding streams by contributing to project proposals at European and national level.
Responsible for the sharing of knowledge obtained on each assigned project.
Responsible for test case automation.
Carry out other such duties as determined and directed by the Director(s) of TSSG that contribute to the achievement of the strategic initiatives of the organisation.
Essential: BSc in Computer Science or similar discipline.
Desirable: MSc in Computer Science.
- ISTQB Foundation Level course completed and certified.
- Agile Scrum Master course completed.
Essential: At least 8 years’ software test experience.
Specific Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong Leadership and Mentoring skills.
- Experience and Research interest in writing papers for software testing function for submission to recognised software testing conferences. E.g. Eurospi, Eurostar.
- Manual and Automated Functional Software Test Experience.
- Test Case and Test Planning experience.
- Experience of working within an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Excellent understanding of testing, the function of test, and the ability to articulate this to project teams.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Interest and enthusiasm for testing.
- Ability to master new products and new technologies.
- Logical approach to problem solving.
- Attention to detail and methodical approach.
- Good organizational and inter personal skills.
- Creation of test procedures and test plans.
- Knowledge of Programming and or scripting languages.
- Experience in test automation, selenium RC, web driver,
- Appium, Performance Testing using tools such as JMeter, writing automation test scripts in Java and/or Ruby, working with Billing systems. Experience of testing multi-tier systems; Database, App Servers, Web and Mobile Apps on iOS and Android.
- Knowledge of source code control (e.g. SVN, Git,), project management tools such as JIRA or Redmine, Web Technologies (e.g. RESTful APIs, SOAP).
- Linux Skills.
- Strong software testing experience working with multiple
- Software testing types in an agile environment.
Experience working with software test automation scripting languages such as cucumber.
Specific Personal Qualities:
- Excellent communication skills with fluent written and oral English.
- Must be a self-starter that can work on own initiative.
- Ability to quickly learn new systems and processes.
- Ability to pick up new technologies and tools easily and like working in a fast-paced environment.
- Skilled at troubleshooting.
- Ability to work in a team as well as individually.
Experience in software test automation.
Applicants must submit a CV and covering letter . Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please address to Ms. Ruth Hennebry, The Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519 quoting ref TSSG04
At a minimum candidates must demonstrate in their application that they possess all of the essential elements applicable in the person specification. The Institute will then decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post. Please note applications will be acknowledged within five working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a hard copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
This role is subject to Garda Vetting
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.