Job Title: Research Unit Manager (x 2) (Ref. No. 019819)
Department: TSSG (www.tssg.org)
Commencement Date: Immediately
Closing Date of Advert: 16.00 on Wednesday, 10th January 2018
The Research Unit Managers will be responsible for providing leadership on research project activities within the Research Unit, which includes identifying and building synergies between projects and collaborations across groups.
Minimum Qualification Required: Degree in computing or equivalent and minimum of 8 years commercial/research experience.
TSSG is subdivided into multiple Research Units and we are currently recruiting for Research Unit Managers to manage and lead two of the Units. Each Research Unit is focused on a fundamental ICT research area and investigates analytical methods of applications that require elements of communication software. Units cover all aspects of the research and development lifecycle, from Basic/Fundamental research through to pre-commercial software development.
The diversity of application-based Research Units in the TSSG is due to the TSSG ethos that allows any individuals to pursue research in any area that is within their interest, which in turn allows us stay competitive with the evolving development of global ICT competition and is embedded into the various infrastructures that evolves our lives (e.g., transport, energy, healthcare, financial systems). A strategic focus in TSSG is on emerging research areas that can lead to major breakthroughs as this will allow TSSG to competitively stay at the forefront of global ICT research, to stand as one of the major internationally recognized research centers, and to be the first in developing new technologies that can benefit humanity.
The Research Unit Managers will be responsible for providing leadership on research project activities within the Research Unit, which includes identifying and building synergies between projects and collaborations across groups. The Research Unit Managers are also responsible for the people within each Unit to address all issues and to ensure transparent and open communications of information to and from the leadership team. We are seeking Research Unit Managers for the following Units:
Programmable Autonomous Systems (PAS) Unit
The focus of this Unit is looking at the autonomous capabilities that are required for computing devices and machines connected to the Internet and to minimize human intervention. This thematic area of the Unit aims to develop algorithms for systems to become autonomous and adaptive, where these algorithms can be inspired from various other disciplines (e.g. bio-inspired, social-inspired). This unit also encompasses research into Intelligent/Smart Transport Systems and Energy.
Mobile Ecosystem and Pervasive Sensing (MEPS) Unit
This Unit’s focus is on a number of thematic areas which include Biomedical Nano and Molecular Communications investigating how molecular communications can be applied for biomedical application; Pervasive Sensing focused on achieving a passive monitoring model that facilitates a precision health approach; and Movement and Gait Analysis which looks at pushing the boundaries through novel applications of 3D camera technologies for clinical movement and gait analysis.
- Securing sponsored research projects and developing new sources of funded research, including contract research – i.e. building a pipeline of income for the Unit.
- Leading the sponsored and contract research projects of the research unit – ie being responsible for the delivery of all projects in the Unit.
- Line management (administration and performance management) and mentoring of unit staff including management of budgetary and resource allocations.
- Providing leadership on research projects activities within the research unit including identifying and building synergies between projects.
- Developing and manage key internal and external relationships.
- Ensuring intra- and inter- Research Unit collaboration.
- Agreeing and delivering on specific TSSG vision, strategy, objectives, processes and targets/metrics.
- Specification and delivery of research unit research vision and strategy.
- Dissemination of information by publication in international journals and at workshops and conferences. This will involve international travel.
- International representation of the Institute to the funding bodies, fulfilment of scientific services such as membership in relevant conference Program Committees, working groups and editorial boards; and peer-reviewing of international publications.
- Liaise on a regular basis and provide periodic reports to the Management Team / TSSG Executive.
- Development and maintenance of high quality external sponsor (funding bodies) customer, academic and commercial relationships.
- Coordination and protection of IP with the Management Team/Technology Transfer Office.
- Carry out other such duties as determined and directed by the Director(s) of TSSG that contribute to the achievement of the strategic initiatives of the organisation.
- Report to the Director of Research or nominee.
Essential: Degree in computing or equivalent.
Desirable: Masters level post-graduate research
Essential: Minimum of 8 years commercial/research experience.
Specific Knowledge and skills:
- Strong project management experience.
- Ability to rapidly understand and analyze new products and potential solutions to research challenges.
- Knowledge of research unit research focus as outlined above.
- Attention to detail and methodical approach.
- Track record of leading and managing people.
- Excellent written and oral communication, organisational and interpersonal skills
Essential: Technical project management knowledge of software development or networking.
Essential: Good communication skills.
Applicants must submit a loose leaf CV and motivational letter via Irishjobs or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please mark your application clearly with the appropriate reference number. Please address to Ms. Ruth Hennebry, The Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519.
At a minimum candidates must demonstrate in their application that they possess all of the essential elements applicable in the person specification. The Institute will then decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post. Please note applications will be acknowledged within five working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a hard copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
This post is subject to Garda Vetting.
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.