Job Title: Senior UX Designer/Developer
Department: Creative Design Unit (CDU), TSSG (www.tssg.org)
Commencement Date: Immediately
Location: TSSG, Carriganore Campus, Waterford Institute of Technology
Salary Range: €46,460 – €61,610 p.a.
Closing Date of Advert: 16:00 on Friday, 13th April 2018
Minimum Requirement: BSc. in Computer Science/Multimedia (or equivalent)
TSSG is seeking a Senior UX Designer / Developer to join its Creative Design Research Unit. This is initially being offered on a temporary fixed term duration of 12 months.
Please note that interviews for this position will be held week beginning 23rd April 2018
- Work with common graphic and interface design tools.
- Convert user requirements into user interfaces
- Design with consideration of colour, screen-flow, usability, user-efficiency, consistency of the user experience and professional appearance.
- Work in multi-disciplinary teams across multiple projects, including product manager, customers, users, team members and others to develop product requirements into concepts and prototypes.
- Understand and design for all accessibility levels.
- Experience in web design and keep up to date in web design trends and developments.
- Develop design documents and artifacts for software.
- Work with UI technologies – HTML, CSS, JS.
- Develop software using the appropriate technology
- Work on mobile app planning and development.
- Document any necessary processes or procedures.
- Work with customers and travel to their sites (National and European) as needed to support the product in production, identify enhancements, elicit requirements and/or solve design and development problems.
- Work with the Unit Manager to write proposals for future funding.
- Time logging of tasks and tracking.
- Report to the Research Unit Manager.
- Carry out other such duties as determined and directed by the Director(s) of TSSG that contribute to the achievement of the strategic initiatives of the organisation.
- BA/BS or MA/MS degree preferred in Computer Science, Multimedia or related field.
- 7+ years working in the design industry, with previous experience working in a senior UX role.
- Specialist in methodical based UX concepts, utilising user-flow diagrams, sitemaps, sketches, sitemaps, process flows, website analytics, user research and wireframes.
- Excellent understanding of cross-browser/cross-platform compatibility issues in relation to testing on variety of devices, including mobile and desktop. This should include adherence to web standards and best practices, as well as ability to apply appropriate responsive design.
- Expert in using creative tools such as Axure, Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, and management tools such as GitHub.
- Graphic design experience and marketing support, developing brands and print collateral, newsletters etc.
- Expert knowledge of User Research, Data & validation strategies – from start to finish.
- Experience working as part of a team to design and implement commercial level dynamic web applications such as portals, content management systems, e-commerce sites or banking portals.
- Familiarity with and experience working within agile development methodologies.
- Ability to identify and present strategic research opportunities.
- Strong observational analysis skills coupled with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Outstanding attention to detail & iterative design processes.
- Experience mentoring other researchers/designers.
- Passionate about advocating research findings to diverse audiences through written reports and oral presentations.
- Assisting with funding opportunities such as conducting research, writing proposals, submitting tenders etc. to secure team funding.
- Masters degree in design/tech/media/human interaction field.
- Experience working in both commercial and research areas.
- Experience in a fast-paced development environment advantageous.
- End-to-end project management experience desirable.
- Knowledge of funding support bodies such as Enterprise Ireland, EU, NDRC etc.
Specific Personal Qualities:
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Leadership skills
- Presentation skills
- Customer interaction skills
- Excellent attention to detail and methodical approach to problem solving
- Excellent product knowledge and ability of scoping out product requirements from concept through to commercial product
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Strong analytical skills and logical approach to problem solving
- Ability to contribute to proposal development
Closing Date of Advert: 16:00 on Friday, 13th April 2018.
Applicants should submit a CV and covering letter via email to email@example.com before the closing date. Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please address to Ms. Ruth Hennebry, The Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. For enquiries relating to an application please phone 051-845519 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At a minimum candidates must demonstrate in their application that they possess all of the essential elements applicable in the person specification. The Institute will then decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post. Please note applications will be acknowledged within five working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a hard copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
This role is subject to Garda Vetting
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.