Job Title: Senior Software Developer (Ref. No. 020259)
Department: TSSG (www.tssg.org)
Salary: €46K – €61K PA
Commencement Date: Immediately
Minimum Qualification Required: BSc in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or Similar
TSSG is subdivided into multiple Research Units and we are currently recruiting for Senior Software Developers to work across a range of projects. Each Research Unit is focused on a fundamental ICT research area and investigates analytical methods of applications that require elements of communication software.
The diversity of application-based Research Units in TSSG is due to an ethos that allows any individuals to pursue research in any area that is within their interest, which in turn allows us stay competitive with the evolving development of global ICT competition and is embedded into the various infrastructures that evolves our lives (e.g., transport, energy, healthcare, financial systems).
If you are interested in working in a unique research organisation within the higher education sector, TSSG offers a culture that promotes autonomy and the pursuit of individual interests and ideas. We’re excited about opportunities that will create new technologies, advance existing ones and we will actively support the commercialisation process of these technologies. This provides you with the opportunity to explore your own creativity and work on cutting edge technologies across a variety of challenging projects, engaging and collaborating with like-minded people. TSSG ultimately offers flexibility in a great working environment for those looking to embark on a challenge.
- Work with the Project Technical Lead to develop requirements for software.
- Develop software using the appropriate technology set as specified by the Project technical lead.
- Develop Object Oriented software in Java or similar OO language.
- Work with Node.js. Use Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Develop unit test suites in conjunction with all software modules developed.
- Work with network protocols (both telecommunications and Internet).
- Work with database technologies – for example PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS-SQL Server.
- Utilise process management tools such as Redmine for time management and Bugzilla for defect management.
- Participate in function test, integration test and user acceptance tests.
- Experience in using data analytics and data visualisation tools.
- Work with the software test function to resolve defects promptly.
- Document any necessary processes or procedures.
- Work with the Research Unit Manager to write proposals for future funding.
- Any other duties as may be assigned to you from time-to-time.
- Flexibility to Travel to project meetings (at EU and national level) a requirement for this position.
- Carry out other such duties as determined and directed by the Director(s) of TSSG that contribute to the achievement of the strategic initiatives of the organisation.
- Report to the Research Unit Manager or nominee.
Essential: BSc in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or Similar
Desirable: MSc in Computer Science or Similar
Essential: Minimum 7+ years software development experience
Specific Knowledge and Skills:
- Advanced understanding of Software engineering principles and architectures.
- Understanding of Agile Software development methodologies.
Essential: Advanced software development expertise. Java, Node.js, AWS, data analytics, data visualisation
Specific Personal Qualities:
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about position
- Excellent Communication Skills, Customer interaction skills.
- Good Leadership and Presentation skills
- Excellent attention to detail and methodical approach to problem solving
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Strong analytical skills and logical approach to problem solving
- Ability to contribute to proposal development
- Flexibility to travel
- Interested in pursuing and developing own research agenda
Closing Date of Advert: 16.00 on Friday, 11th May 2018
Applicants must submit a loose leaf CV and a short (i.e. no more than 2 pages) cover letter/ personal statement to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please mark the application clearly with the appropriate reference number. Please address to Ms. Ruth Hennebry, The Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519.
At a minimum candidates must demonstrate in their application that they possess all of the essential elements applicable in the person specification. The Institute will then decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post. Please note applications will be acknowledged within five working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a hardcopy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress. The advert will not be available on-line after the closing date.
This post is subject to Garda Vetting.
Waterford Institute of Technology is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from people with a disability.
Cuirfear fáilte roimh chomhfhreagras trí Ghaeilge