The Mobile Ecosystem and Pervasive Sensing Research Group (MEPS) in TSSG, Waterford Institute of Technology, led by Research Unit Manager Frances Cleary, is a multidisciplinary group of experts adopting an innovative and impactful approach as a core objective in their focused research activities. The group focuses on the following key thematic research focus areas
1. Bio-Nano Telecommunications investigating how molecular communications can be applied for biomedical application including modelling communication systems at the nanoscale that occurs between neurons in the cortex, modelling the neural communication process through the nervous system, as well as modelling virus propagation through the circulatory system.
2. Pervasive Sensing addressing advanced communication, collection, storage and analysis of big data from pervasive sensors such as wearable, implantable and ambient sensors to facilitate continuous monitoring of a person. The group also investigates research focused on wearable and implantable wireless sensor network solutions and real-time cooperation of embedded and wearable sensor networks,and extends their research out to V2X communications and Risk communications.
3. Augmented Reality/ Virtual Reality investigating the use and application of VR/AR technologies for education, training, awareness building, product promotion solutions. This group have a dedicated research focus around the use of AR/VR
- VR/AR supporting Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Education in this space.
- EEG/VR/BSN: using combined technologies, to determine a user Emotional/mental state.
- VR/AIML: leveraging the VR/AR technology and sophisticated AI/ML/DL algorithms supporting new innovative platforms, systems and solutions across the health sector, manufacturing, Big Pharma etc.
MEPS group bring expertise in the state of the art, methodologies and standards across all the above thematic areas, expanding their research focus strategy to develop future emerging technologies across these thematic research focus areas and also leveraging current research to support knowledge transfer with innovative potential from academia to industry. The MEPS unit has the advantage of having researchers coming from varied engineering and scientific backgrounds (electronic engineers, software developers, multimedia developers, VR/AR experts, Bio-Nano PHD students, Postdocs (Bio-Nano Expertise and V2X communications expertise) that bring an intricate level and leading-edge research level of knowledge and research strategic focus to the groups activities.