Experimental Molecular Biologist (TSSG & PMBRC)
This is an exciting multidisciplinary position for an Experimental Molecular Biologist to work in the area of DNA storage and molecular communications in Waterford Institute of Technology. Eligible applicants must have a minimum of a 2.1 honors degree in Molecular Biology / Microbiology / Molecular Biotechnology or a related discipline.
If you are interested in working in a unique research organisation within the higher education sector, TSSG & PMBRC will offer you a culture that promotes autonomy and the pursuit of individual interests and ideas. This environment provides you with the opportunity to explore your own creativity and work on cutting edge technologies across a variety of challenging projects, engaging and collaborating with like-minded people. This role ultimately offers flexibility in a great working environment for those looking to embark on a new challenge. Waterford Institute of Technology is located in Ireland’s oldest city in the beautiful south east.
(see https://www.idaireland.com/invest-in/southeast/lifestyle/living-in-waterford for more details on living in Waterford)
- Possess skills in molecular biology with capabilities in isolation, cloning, manipulation and analysis of recombinant DNA and proteins.
- Perform basic research in line with the objectives and work plan of funded research projects, under direction from the project Principal Investigator(s).
- Disseminate research results via publications in scientific conferences and journals.
- Work with the project Principal Investigator(s) and the WIT Technology Transfer Office to protect and exploit developed intellectual property.
- Contribute to the development of research funding proposals.
- Contribute to internal TSSG & PMBRC research dissemination, knowledge sharing and training activities.
- Perform other tasks as set by the TSSG & PMBRC Managers
- Carry out other such duties as determined and directed by the Director(s) of TSSG that contribute to the achievement of the strategic initiatives of the organisation.
- 2.1 Honors degree in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biotechnology or a related discipline.
- MSc/PhD in molecular biology, microbiology, molecular biotechnology or a related discipline.
- At least 1 year of post-degree experience working in a molecular biology/biotechnology laboratory/related discipline lab or research group.
- Experience and a demonstrated capability in the isolation, cloning, manipulation and analysis of recombinant DNA and proteins.
- Previous experience in molecular communications.
- Previous experience in synthetic construct cloning/fusion protein generation.
- Previous experience in multi-gene Gateway clone design.
Candidate to have a demonstrated knowledge and skill in the following:
- Extensive microbiological techniques, particularly in recombinant cloning.
- Expertise in molecular biology techniques including PCR, real-time PCR, DNA sequencing, gene cloning, gene expression, gene mutagenesis, recombinant host systems.
- Experience in multi-gene expression.
- Performance testing of recombinant cells via colorimetric assays/analytical chromatography/flow cytometry.
- Good communication, presentation and report writing skills are essential.
- The successful candidate will be comfortable working as part of a multidisciplinary research team and under their own initiative
- An ability to work under pressure to meet project deadlines.
Applicants must submit their CV along with a short (i.e. no more than 2 pages) cover letter via email only to ResearchRecruitment@wit.ie clearly stating competition reference and job title in subject line before the closing date.
Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please note that hard copy applications will not be accepted and applications.
The Institute will shortlist only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post.
Please note applications will be acknowledged within five working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a hard copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.
The post is subject to Garda Vetting.
Queries on this competition should be sent to The Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519