Junior Systems Administrator, Infrastructure Group, TSSG
Job Title: Junior Systems Administrator
Department: Infrastructure Group, TSSG (www.tssg.org)
Location: Carriganore, Waterford
Commencement Date: Immediately
Duration: 12 months
Salary: €32k per annum
Competition Ref: 022839
Closing Date: 18 November 2019
Minimum Qualification Required: BSc/BEng in computing or telecommunications, and a minimum of 2 years’ experience in System Administration.
The successful candidate will be working in a challenging academic research environment, ensuring that staff and students have IT facilities to suit their needs and to provide quality first level IT support to the organisation. The primary focus being high level operational quality resolving as many IT service requests as possible.
The candidate must have good verbal communication skills, as this role will involve considerable intra-company collaboration. The candidate must display a readiness to take personal responsibility for issues that need to be resolved and act effectively within the scope of their own position to resolve them. The candidate will also have to demonstrate an ability to work autonomously in a research environment.
- Provide technical expertise and assistance to system end-users identifying and interpreting user requirements.
- Pro-actively share knowledge with other team members, updating and documenting procedures and solutions.
- Providing telephone, remote or desk support, logging and resolving calls and escalating to other team members as appropriate.
- Ensuring all call are logged in the Service Desk IT CMDB.
- Participate in projects where applicable.
- Engage and establish successful relationships with end-users, identifying on-going opportunities for improving the user experience and maximising customer service.
- Induct and train new staff on the computer systems and company policies.
- Report to the Infrastructure Manager or nominee
- Carry out other such duties as determined and directed by the Director(s) of TSSG that contribute to the achievement of the strategic initiatives of the organisation.
Essential: BSc/BEng (computing or engineering)
Desirable: MSc/MEng (computing or engineering)
Desirable: Any Cisco, VMWare, or EMC certifications (or similar)
Essential: 2 years’ experience required
- Detailed understanding of Virtualisation Technologies and Management such as VMware, KVM, XEN, OpenStack, CloudStack.
- Familiarity of C/C++, Java, Perl, Bash, PHP, Python.
- Ability to deploy Web services.
- The ability to script in 3 languages.
- Detailed understanding of Databases and SQL.
- Familiarity with Nagios / Zenoss monitoring tools.
- In-depth Knowledge of UNIX/Linux, including Solaris and RHEL.
- Automating Server deployment from Bare-Metal.
- Package Management, Version Control, Automation and Configuration Management.
- The ability to analyse application log files.
- Detailed understanding of the 7 layer ISO networking model.
- Debugging / troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with Cisco / Juniper routers / switches.
- Experience with Firewalls / ACLs.
- Excellent communication skills, i.e. Fluent English.
- An ability to use their own initiative.
- Professional, team oriented approach to work.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to rapidly understand and analyze new products.
- Logical approach to problem solving.
- Attention to detail and methodical approach.
- The ability to mentor and train others.
- An interest in social technical gatherings.
- Reads technical journals / magazines / blogs.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to deal with vendors.
- Identify new products / technologies for use.
Applicants must submit their CV along with a short (i.e. no more than 2 pages) cover letter via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating competition reference and job title in subject line before the closing date. Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please note that hard copy applications will not be accepted and applications.
The Institute will shortlist only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post.
Please note applications will be acknowledged within five working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a hard copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.
The post is subject to Garda Vetting.
Queries on this competition should be sent to The Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519