Software Research Engineer (Experienced) x2
Job Title: Software Research Engineer (Experienced) x2
Department: MEPS, TSS
Location: Carriganore, Waterford
Salary: €32,177 – €52,936 p.a. (TSSG Salary Band A, Scale 2)
Commencement Date: Immediate
Closing Date: 16:00hrs on Friday, 29th May 2020
TSSG is subdivided into multiple Research Units and we are currently recruiting for 2 Experienced Software Research Engineers to work on an EU H2020 funded project within the MEPS Unit. Each Research Unit in TSSG is focused on a fundamental ICT research area and investigates analytical methods of applications that require elements of communication software.
The diversity of application-based Research Units in TSSG is due to an ethos that allows any individuals to pursue research in any area that is within their interest, which in turn allows us stay competitive with the evolving development of global ICT competition and is embedded into the various infrastructures that evolves our lives (e.g., healthcare, transport, energy, agri-tech, financial systems).
If you are interested in working in a unique research organisation within the higher education sector, TSSG offers a culture that promotes autonomy and the pursuit of individual interests and ideas. We’re excited about opportunities that will create new technologies, advance existing ones and we will actively support the commercialisation process of these technologies. This provides you with the opportunity to explore your own creativity and work on cutting edge technologies across a variety of challenging projects, engaging and collaborating with like-minded people. TSSG ultimately offers flexibility in a great working environment for those looking to embark on a challenge.
- Contribute to the research objectives of overall TSSG group through the shaping and execution of clearly defined activities (internal projects).
- Working on a diverse range of collaborative research projects, contributing to software development and concept development, both internally within the TSSG and as part of distributed research unit.
- Software application requirements definition and resultant system specification.
- Initiation and maintenance of strategic relationships with other external research groups and relevant industrial parties.
- Specification and support of end-user trials.
- Identification of key IP from research projects
- Analysis, design and development of software components.
- Timely delivery of project outputs.
- Ensuring the adherence of outputs to quality standards.
- Co-ordinating with external parties on delivery of project outputs.
- Engaging in funding proposal creation and development.
- Initiation of and participation in the production of quality academic publications.
- Flexibility to travel to project meetings (at EU and national level) a requirement for this position.
- Carry out other such duties as determined and directed by the Director(s) of TSSG that contribute to the achievement of the strategic initiatives of the organisation
- BSc in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or Similar
- MSc. Computer Science or similar
- 3+ years software development experience
- Collaborate and work with diverse and dispersed teams
- Mentor and share knowledge with junior researchers and designers.
- Experience working in both commercial and research areas
- Scrum certified.
- 4+ years’ experience in software development
- Proven team leadership/Mentoring roles
- Strong Object-Oriented programming ability in Java or similar OO language.
- Advanced understanding of Software engineering principles and architectures.
- Strong experience of source code control and testing tools
- Understanding of micro service architecture and cloud technologies.
- Hand on experience of cloud technologies within one of the following: AWS, Azure, OpenStack
- Knowledge of database technologies
- Hands on experience in DevOps environment including configuration & deployment of pipelines.
- Awareness of emerging software technologies and trends
- Experience working within agile development methodologies
- Integrating with third-party APIs including RESTful & SOAP-based
- Understanding of Big Data methodologies.
- Previous experience on EU funded research projects.
- Publication track record.
- Excellent Communication and Presentation Skills
- Highly collaborative and team-orientated
- Excellent people and interpersonal skills
- Very strong attention to detail and a passion for delivering high quality work
- Hard-working and results-orientated
- Ability to work quickly under pressure to meet deadlines
- Interested in pursuing and developing own research agenda.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about position
Closing Date: 16:00hrs on Friday, 29th May 2020
Applicants must submit a CV and covering letter via email to email@example.com stating job title and competition reference. Any documents in excess of this requirement will be deleted. Please mark the application clearly with the appropriate reference number.
Please note that hard copy will not be accepted.
At a minimum candidates must demonstrate in their application that they possess all of the essential elements applicable in the person specification. The Institute will then decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post. Please note applications will be acknowledged within five working days of the competition closing. Candidates should keep a hard copy of the advert for their file as this will be needed for review should their application progress.
This post is subject to Garda Vetting.
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.