Dr. Sasitharan Balasubramaniam
Director of Research
Sasitharan (Sasi) Balasubramaniam received the Bachelors of Engineering (Electrical and Electronics) from the University of Queensland, 1998, Masters of Engineering Science (Computer and Communication Engineering) from the Queensland University of Technology, 1999, and the Ph.D in Computer Science from the University of Queensland, 2005. His Ph.D was under the supervision of Prof. Jadwiga Indulska.
Currently, Sasi is Adjunct Research Professor at Telecommunication Software and Systems Group, Waterford Institute of Technology, Ireland. He is also an Academy of Finland Research Fellow at the Nano Communication Centre (NCC), Department of Electronic and Communication Engineering at the Tampere University of Technology, Finland. At the NCC he is leading the molecular communications research track, where his research interests include bacteria nanonetworks, calcium signalling in the tissue, as well as the Internet of Nano Things (IoNT).
Sasi is currently an IEEE Senior Member and an ACM Member.
A list of Dr. Sasitharan Balasubramaniam’s publications can be found here: http://publicationslist.org/sasi
Current Student Supervision
- Michael Barros, Waterford Institute of Technology (PhD, primary supervisor): Molecular Communications for Body Area Nanonetworks. Due to submit February 2016.
- Michael Donoghue, Waterford Institute of Technology (PhD, secondary supervisor): Embedded nanoscale networks for Intra-body communication. Due to submit July 2016.
- Daniel Martins, Waterford Institute of Technology (PhD, primary supervisor): Protocols for Bacterial Nanonetwork Applications. Due to submit December 2018.
- Siblee Islam,Waterford Institute of Technology (PhD, secondary supervisor): Localization using Bacterial Nanonetworks. Due to submit December 2018.
- Stefanus Arinno Wirdatmadja,Tampere University of Technology: Protocols for Neural Motes in Brain-Machine Interface. Due to submit December 2018.