Dr. Sasitharan Balasubramaniam
Director of Research
Sasitharan (Sasi) Balasubramaniam received the Bachelors of Engineering (Electrical and Electronics) from the University of Queensland, 1998, Masters of Engineering Science (Computer and Communication Engineering) from the Queensland University of Technology, 1999, and the Ph.D in Computer Science from the University of Queensland, 2005.
Currently, Sasi is Director of Research at Telecommunication Software and Systems Group, Waterford Institute of Technology, Ireland. He was previously an Academy of Finland Research Fellow at the Department of Electronic and Communication Engineering, Tampere University, Finland. His research interests includes molecular communications modeling and simulations, neural communication and nano networks brain implants, as well as the Internet of Bio -Nano Things (IoBNT).
Sasi is currently an IEEE Senior Member and an ACM Member. He is also a Principle Investigator in SFI Reseach Centres, VistaMilk, supported by DAFM, and a Funder Investigator in SFI Research Centres CONNECT and FutureNeuro. He is currently an Associate Editor of IEEE Letters of the Computer Society, and Editor for Elsevier Nano Communication Networks and Elsevier Digital Communication Networks. He was previously an Associate Editor for IEEE Internet of Things journal. In 2018 he was the IEEE Distinguished Lecturer for the Nanotechnology Council.
A list of Dr. Sasitharan Balasubramaniam’s publications can be found here: http://publicationslist.org/sasi
Current Student Supervision
- Michael Barros, Waterford Institute of Technology (PhD, primary supervisor): Molecular Communications for Body Area Nanonetworks. Due to submit February 2016.
- Michael Donoghue, Waterford Institute of Technology (PhD, secondary supervisor): Embedded nanoscale networks for Intra-body communication. Due to submit July 2016.
- Daniel Martins, Waterford Institute of Technology (PhD, primary supervisor): Protocols for Bacterial Nanonetwork Applications. Due to submit December 2018.
- Siblee Islam,Waterford Institute of Technology (PhD, secondary supervisor): Localization using Bacterial Nanonetworks. Due to submit December 2018.
- Stefanus Arinno Wirdatmadja,Tampere University of Technology: Protocols for Neural Motes in Brain-Machine Interface. Due to submit December 2018.